Course Title: Media Arts, Grade 10
Course Code: ASM2O
Course Type: Open
Credit Value: 1.0
Prerequisite: None required
Department: The Arts
Tuition Fee (CAD): $529
This course enables students to create media art works by exploring new media, emerging technologies such as digital animation, and a variety of traditional art forms such as film, photography, video, and visual arts. Students will acquire communications skills that are transferable beyond the media arts classroom and develop an understanding of responsible practices related to the creative process. Students will develop the skills necessary to create and interpret media art works.
Overall Curriculum Expectations
By the end of the course, students will gain proficiency in the following areas:
Creating and Presenting
- demonstrate an understanding of the terminology associated with information
- The Creative Process: apply the creative process to create media art works, individually and/or collaboratively;
- The Principles of Media Arts: design and produce media art works, applying principles of media arts and using various elements from contributing arts (dance, drama, music, visual arts);
- Using Technologies, Tools, and Techniques: apply traditional and emerging technologies, tools, and techniques to produce and present media art works for a variety of audiences and purposes.
Reflecting, Responding and Analysing
- The Critical Analysis Process: demonstrate an understanding of the critical analysis process by examining, interpreting, assessing, and reflecting on media art works;
- Identity and Values: demonstrate an understanding of how media art works reflect personal and cultural identity, and affect personal, cultural, and community values and their awareness of those values;
- Connections Beyond the Classroom: demonstrate an understanding of the types of knowledge and skills developed in media arts and how they can be used outside the media arts classroom.
- Terminology: demonstrate an understanding of, and use correct terminology when referring to, elements, principles, and other concepts relating to media arts;
- Contexts and Influences: demonstrate an understanding of the sociocultural and historical contexts of media arts;
- Responsible Practices: demonstrate an understanding of responsible practices associated with producing, presenting, and experiencing media art works.
|Unit 1: Exploring Media Arts|
You will gain an appreciation of the key roles media arts play in your life. You will review and reinforce the elements of media art and the different concepts that have emerged over the years. You will work through different media presentation software that will enable you to explore the world of media arts in our society. This unit assists you in developing an understanding of media art by providing an overview of the different media associated with this genre of art.
|Unit 2: Graphic Design|
You will develop a familiarity with basic concepts, techniques, and approaches to create and work with a graphics program. This unit is designed to provide you with experience using the interface and tools while covering basic techniques of image editing and design. You will use this knowledge when moving on to more advanced image editing and design techniques such as web graphics or photo montage. You are then exposed to the use of different new media and techniques to help you create your own contemporary images with an emphasis on the artist process. By the end of the unit, you are prepared to work in a graphics editing program.
|Unit 3: Photography|
You will learn the fundamentals involved in taking great photographs. You will be introduced to the different elements that provide an impact, and help photo selection convey a visual message. You will learn the basic operation of a camera and the different principles involved; including lighting techniques. You will be encouraged to use the knowledge gained to produce creative works of a higher standard. You will learn the ins and outs of the different shooting techniques that can be used to create a photograph, and how you can use photo editing software to enhance your image further.
|Unit 4: Sound and Moving Image|
As part of the animation component to the course, you will assess your level of awareness and knowledge of animation techniques and history. You will be given the basic animation techniques, and approaches to create animations. You will broaden your artistic knowledge by researching the development and evolution of animation in popular culture. You are exposed to flipbooks, zoetropes and thaumatropes. By the end of the unit, you will be prepared to present your animation.
|Unit 5: Web Design|
You will learn the design principles and the different design concepts needed to create a web page. You will also learn the HTML language needed in order to create an Internet based page. You will work through different practice exercises enforcing the knowledge gained in learning the HTML language. This unit will assist you in developing an understanding of a web page and what is involved in its creation. You will also be made aware of the design element do’s and don’ts that are required for creating good design. You will be involved in the construction of a web site using the knowledge gained in this unit.
|Unit 6: Culminating Activity |
You will complete a culminating activity for the unit that will demonstrate the knowledge and skills you have gained throughout the course, both through testing and the creating of a personal portfolio web site.
|Total Hours||110 hours|